Adopting a sustainable lifestyle is vital for preserving the environment, and having a baby is not an exception for it. Taking care of the environment will enhance your and your family’s well-being in the long run, as it will reduce the carbon footprint generated by baby products.
But how should one go about having a zero-waste pregnancy? Is it really doable? Let’s explore some practical ways to have a sustainable pregnancy, including environmentally friendly alternatives for clothing, prenatal care, and baby products.
Benefits Of A Sustainable Pregnancy
A zero-waste pregnancy won’t only benefit the environment but also you and your family in a plethora of ways. Some of which are:
- Protecting the earth today means a better environment for the future generations
- Helps save money and waste fewer products
- Reduces various types of pollution and keeps you and your baby healthy
- Spreads awareness about the importance of a sustainable lifestyle
Tips On Having A Zero-Waste Pregnancy?
Following are some tips you can keep in mind when planning out a zero-waste pregnancy:
Sustainable Bedding and Clothing
Buying clothes for yourself and your baby made from natural materials, like organic hemp, cotton, or recycled materials, will help save the planet. Natural materials, especially organic cotton, are very soft and will not cause skin rashes. Most clothing or beddings that are made from bamboo, wool, and organic cotton are breathable, hypo, and comfortable at the same time.
Sustainable Beauty, Skincare & Health Items
Pregnant or not, more and more people are shifting to organic skincare and beauty products because they are healthier for their skin and the planet. Using skincare produced from natural ingredients, like plant-based oils, is now very easily accessible and also affordable. These items include organic shampoos, conditioners, face washes, soaps, etc. The best part is that organic products do not have any adverse effects on your body.
Only Buy Products You Need
This rule applies to every stage of life but is being highlighted here for pregnant women because their dietary needs and cravings keep changing. Hence, overstocking a product and then not using it won’t only waste the product but also your money.
Go Seasonal & Local
Buying local and seasonal products, like fruits and vegetables, will significantly reduce the carbon footprint produced. Packed with nutrients and various health benefits, these natural produce are organic thus are great for your well-being and can be used in a versatile manner.
Reusing & Recycling
Both reusing and recycling are necessary when it comes to being environmentally conscious. Recycling waste, especially plastic products, is crucial to protect the environment. One straightforward step to take is to reuse clothes that you’ve worn in your previous pregnancy or invest in sustainable clothing that will last you a long time. Using the same essentials for your babies, such as carry cots, will help reduce waste and save you money.
Smart Ideas For A Lower Waste Pregnancy
Don’t worry about the increasing costs that come with being a mother; we’ve some amazing ideas for you that will lower the burden from your pocket and mind. These innovative ideas won’t only help you, but they’ll even support preserving the planet.
- Flushable pregnancy tests: Using commercial pregnancy tests might seem like a negligible waste to one person, but imagine the effect on pollution when most people use them. You don’t need to worry anymore because biodegradable and flushable pregnancy tests are now available and are accurate 99% of the time.
- Invest rather than just consume: Try not to be influenced by advertisements and suggestions from friends and family. You know better what you require and what will just lay around in your house. Focus on investing in products you know will last you a long time, even after your delivery.
- Pregnancy pillow: Investing in a comfortable pregnancy pillow is an excellent investment, as it has multiple uses and will help you after you’ve delivered the baby too. For example, you can use it for resting with your baby and breastfeeding or simply for relaxing.
- Avoid commercial pads: Instead of spending insane amounts of money on maternity or sanitary pads that end up filling landfills, invest in some eco-friendly alternatives like reusable or biodegradable pads. This way, you will save the environment a great deal from harm.
- Snack packs: Packing snack packs during pregnancy with your favorite veggies, fruits, and organic cravings are much healthier and cheaper than buying food every time you leave the house. This way, you won’t have to wait to buy food or turn towards junk when hunger strikes.
To conclude, adopting a sustainable lifestyle will benefit your health and your babies. Having a safe environment should be one’s priority. Focusing on reusing, recycling, and protecting the environment will internally make you feel positive.
Donating products like clothes, baby gear, and even pregnancy books will significantly benefit those around you. It will reduce waste and help those who can’t afford to keep up with the costs of having a baby.